Thursday, October 1, 2009

American Culture

Culture in America
The American culture is a varied and ever-changing way of defining the American people themselves. We are a group of many talents, nationalities, stories, and beliefs. Some say that there is no certain way to define American culture, because it is so diverse, but I say that the diversity itself is what defines us. Our nation is based on a set of morals and beliefs that diversity should be celebrated, and all should be given the chance to show their own individuality, making ours a nation of freedom and pride in one’s self. We are a loyal people, putting country first with a true spirit of patriotism, and caring for one another when disaster comes our way. Though there are always exceptions to this spirit, I believe that deep in the hearts of almost every American is the “we” attitude that brings us together, as it did in such as the fateful events of September 11. Even though we are sometimes caught up in our own little worlds, it only takes some of the smallest actions to remind us of what we really are: a family in nation, in dreams, and in rights.
My own Culture
Besides the enormous pride I feel in having an American culture, the other traits of my background are very important not only to me, but also to my family. My father’s side of the family is very German (if you couldn’t tell just by looking at my name) with some Southern American roots from my grandmother. My mother’s side of the family, however, is extremely Irish, and very proud of it too. I enjoy learning about both sides of my ancestry, believing that the makeup of my ancestors also defines me. Both of my parents were raised Roman Catholic, and still are, as am I. My faith is very important to me, and governs a lot of decisions I make. Though going to a private, parochial school didn’t really expose me to as much as other kids who went to public school did, culture is always changing, and I am always open to new experiences. I believe that my ethnic and cultural opportunities are always increasing, and there is always room for improvement, so I look forward always to becoming an even more diverse and opinionated individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment