Tuesday, June 15, 2010

2 Best Blogs of the Year: Extra Credit

1. American Culture and My Own Culture (1st semester)

The American culture is a varied and ever-changing way of defining the American people themselves. We are a group of many talents, nationalities, stories, and beliefs. Some say that there is no certain way to define American culture, because it is so diverse, but I say that the diversity itself is what defines us. Our nation is based on a set of morals and beliefs that diverstiy should be celebrated, and all should be given the chance to show their own individuality, making ours a nation of freedom and pride in oneself. We are a loyal people, putting country first with a true spirit of patriotism, and caring for one another when disaster comes our way. Though there are always exceptions to this spirit, I believe that deep in the hearts of almost every American citizen is the "we" attitude that brings us together, as it did in such as the fateful events of September 11. Even though we are sometimes caught up in our own little words, it only takes some of the smallest actions to remind us of what we really are: a family in nation, in dreams, and in diverstiy.

Besides the enormous pride I feel in having an American culture, the other traits of my backround are very important not only to me, but also to my family. My father's side of the family is very German (if you couldn't tell just by looking at my name) with some Southern American roots from my grandmother. My mother's side of the family, however, is extremely Irish, and very proud of it too. I enjoy learning about both sides of my ancestry, believing that the makeup of my ancestors also defines me. Both of my parents were raised Roman Catholic, and still are, as am I. My faith is very important to me, and governs a lot of decisions I make. Though going to a private, parochial school didn't really expose me to as much as other kids who went to public school did, culture is always changing, and I am always open to new experiences. I believe that my ethnic and cultural opportunities are always increasing, and there is always room for improvement, so I look forward always to becoming a more diverse and opinionated individual.

2. Runners for Life (2nd Semester)

When most students hear from their gym teachers that they are running the mile next day, they are filled with a sense of dread. Call me crazy, but I get excited. I have always loved running: anywhere, anytime, and any distance. From soccer to basketball and now cross country and track, I can only describe the free feeling as my feet fly as pure ecstasy. When people find out about my running habits they one, think I'm crazy, or two, have known me long enough to say that it's about time. Either way, people then ask how I got started, which is not quite a long story, but not something short to explain either. I went to a very small, private school for Kindergaten up until eigth grade where the only sports offered for girls were volleyball in the fall, basketball in the winter, and softball in the spring. I had been playing soccer since I was five, but in fourth grade I had to stop and was looking for something new to get rid of my energy. The coaches for the three sports offered were friends of my parents so I got placed into all three of their sports. Over the next couple of years, I got better and better at all three sports, managing to become captain of my volleyball and softball team two years in a row, and in basketball one year. I liked the sports, but I still just wanted to run. School, athletics, church activities, music, and working stopped me from doing more up until high school. Most people expected me to go on to do volleyball, basketball, and softball at Stevenson, but I shocked a lot of people-especially my parents- when I decided to join the cross country team in the fall. For the people that don't know, cross country is a grueling 5km, or 3.11 mile race that takes place outside in forests, parks, and the occasional baseball diamond (lots of them.) I loved every exhausting stride. The feeling of running is like nothing else I've ever experienced, and the feeling afterwards is sometimes described as a "runner's high." You feel on top of the world after every run, and I couldn't wait to do it all over again. The people I met while running were another reason I was so glad to do cross country. I don't know what it is, but runners always mile when we pass on sidewalks and cheer each other on, no matter what school we go to. Many times I have been encouraged by runners from Churchill, Franklin, and other schools, and I have always been one to encourage someone who was maybe lagging behind. And I know that I keep saying running this, and running that, but it really means that much to me. I wasn't really sure about high school coming from such a small school (240 kids, preschool through eighth grade), but running really helped me walk up to the building with confidence.




No comments:

Post a Comment