Friday, April 30, 2010

SIMUN Blog

I was not really sure about what SIMUN would be like the first day, even though we had prepared a bit in Mrs. Bergeski’s class and had gone over parliamentary procedure in Mr. Fielder’s class. It was still a big unknown to me as to how it would run and what the people would be like. After the first day, though, I had a pretty basic understanding of what was expected of me and also what was expected of the group. The second day was a scenario in which my country, Mexico, was directly related to the problem. I opened the folder and I felt a little like passing out, but I slowly read the problem and then prepared myself for caucus. Everyone crowded around me asking my opinion and a bunch of questions, but I soon got used to it and was able to answer their questions. By the third day, I was extremely confident in what I was doing and spoke a couple of times, adding to the previous days of speaking where I was nervous and slightly hesitant.
I think, for a freshman at least, that I did pretty well at SIMUN. Though it was hard to get involved at first, I managed to speak once on the first day and made sure to caucus a lot. The second day was the most involving for me- I think I spoke two or three times and asked a question or two. I was very active in helping with writing the resolution by stating Mexico’s opinion. The third day was also pretty involving; I spoke again and tried to caucus like a maniac. For my very first try, I think I did well at being a delegate.
I was definitely glad that I had prepared enough beforehand. Reading multiple sources and comparing different figures and facts about my country and my issues helped me to better understand the problems we could be faced with and how my country would and should react. I took margin notes on some of my articles, which was a good thing when I needed a reference for a situation or for caucusing. The best thing I did to prepare was telling myself that I could do it and mentally preparing myself to talk without fear. You can research all you want and be an expert on the subject, but if you aren’t prepared to speak and share your opinion, then you won’t do well.
The only thing I might do differently for SIMUN next year is make sure that I speak more, and I want to try to help freshmen that don’t really understand the process. I want to be encouraging to them to prove to them that they can do it. I felt that I prepared myself enough this year, so otherwise I’m looking forward to SIMUN next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment