Friday, May 7, 2010

Are you happy Madi? I didn't use Free Blog as my title.


The rain pounding outside above my head sounds like a million screaming fans in a tightly packed stadium hosting the World Cup. The thunder is rumbling like some distant giant trudging through the mountains. Soon after the explosive boom of thunder, I see a white hot flash of lightning strike in the air like a python shooting out at its prey. The water gushing off the rooftops splatters onto the cement in waves, ebbing and flowing like the ocean. I sit quietly in my chair listening to the beauty around me and listening to Mother Nature at work. Mrs. Bergeski continues her speech on Roman Numerals, and the rain continues to pour. Everyone is quiet, probably exhausted from the week behind us, and sits dejectedly in their seats listening to the far off booming of thunder. It is times like these where my mind wanders and I soon am daydreaming. The bell goes off and it’s already 4th hour. We are in C-19 and are free blogging.
Now half of class is over and I am still writing this blog. The rain has let up and you can almost see the feeble rays of sunlight trying to break through the dense covering of clouds. The thunder has subsided and a sort of calm comes to the air. I know that when I go outside after 6th Hour, the pavement will still be damp from the outpouring and the air will feel heavy with humidity. The sun, if it is out, will be feebly attempting to warm the rain-soaked grass, and you will instantly smell the stench of half-drowned worms that tried to escape the rain. Though it is wet and humid, this is my favorite weather to run in; the earth feels fresh and new. This is possibly my favorite part of a rainy day: after the skies have opened and released all their water, when it feels like the world is reborn and cleansed.
A roar of thunder jolts me from my daydream and I realize that I am still in 4th Hour and typing. I hear the rain pounding on Stevenson’s roof again, after tricking us to make us think that it had stopped. I long for the sun’s warm rays and that image, smell, and feel of the new, clean Earth. Still raining, I just sigh and wait out the pouring. I look forward to when the rain will stop and I can enjoy the outdoors again.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I am happy you changed your title. I'm impressed you can write 400 words on rain. Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete